Hornady’s American Whitetail Ammunition is crafted specifically to provide the very best possible performance for hunting whitetail deer. Available in all popular deer hunting calibers, this is the perfect ammunition for you! Opening day of deer season comes only once a year. Make sure you’re ready when the big one steps out and load-up with Hornady American Whitetail ammunition. Hornady InterLock bullets lock the core and jacket together with a copper ring inside of the bullet, to physically ensure core retention, and maximize energy transfer to the target. The soft point bullets have an exposed lead tip and a broader point diameter that provides rapid, controlled expansion at somewhat lower velocities.
150 Grain InterLock Soft Point
Muzzle velocity: 2910 fps
Velocity at 100 yards: 2637 fps
Velocity at 300 yards: 2139 fps
Muzzel energy: 2820 ft/lbs
Energy at 100 yards: 2317 ft/lbs
Energy at 300 yards: 1523 ft/lbs
Uses: Deer and Medium Game
The hornady 30-06. cartridge (pronounced “thirty-aught-six” IPA: 7.62×63mm in metric notation and called “.30 Gov’t ’06” by Winchester, was introduced to the United States Army in 1906 and later standardized; it remained in use until the late-1970s. The “.30” refers to the caliber of the bullet in inches. The “06” refers to the year the cartridge was adopted, 1906. It replaced the .30-03, 6mm Lee Navy, and .30-40 Krag cartridges. The .30-06 remained the U.S. Army’s primary rifle and machine gun cartridge for nearly 50 years before being replaced by the 7.62×51mm NATO and 5.56×45mm NATO, both of which remain in current U.S. and NATO service. It remains a very popular sporting round, with ammunition produced by all major manufacturers in the early-1890s, the U.S. military adopted the smokeless powder .30-40 Krag rimmed cartridge. The 1894 version of that cartridge used a 220-grain (14 g) round-nose bullet. Around 1901, the U.S. started developing an experimental rimless cartridge for a Mauser action with box magazine. That led to the 1903 .30-03 rimless service round that used the same 220-grain (14 g) round-nose bullet as the Krag. The .30-03 achieved a muzzle velocity of 2,300 ft/s (700 m/s). Many European militaries at the beginning of the 20th century were adopting lighter-weight (roughly 150-to-200-grain (9.7 to 13.0 g)), higher velocity, service rounds with pointed (spitzer) bullets: France in 1898 (8mm Lebel Balle D spitzer 198 grains (12.8 g) with boat-tail), Germany in 1903 (7.92×57mm Mauser 153 grains (9.9 g) S Patrone), Russia in 1908 (7.62×54mmR Lyokhkaya pulya [light bullet]), and Britain in 1910 (.303 British Mark VII 174 grains (11.3 g)).6 Consequently, the round-nosed U.S. .30-03 service cartridge was falling behind.
Cartridge, ball, caliber .30, Model of 1906 (M1906)
For these reasons, the U.S. military developed a new, lighter cartridge in 1906, the .30-06 Springfield, “cartridge, ball, caliber .30, Model of 1906”, or just M1906. The .30-03 case was modified to have a slightly shorter neck to fire a spitzer flat-based 150-grain (9.72 g) bullet that had a ballistic coefficient (G1 BC) of approximately 0.405, a muzzle velocity of 2,700 ft/s (820 m/s), and a muzzle energy of 2,429 ft⋅lbf (3,293 J). The cartridge was loaded with military rifle (MR) 21 propellant, and its maximum range was claimed (falsely) to be 4,700 yd (4,300 m). The M1903 Springfield rifle, which had been introduced alongside the .30-03 cartridge, was modified to accept the new .30-06 Springfield cartridge. Modifications to the rifle included shortening the barrel at its breech and resizing the chamber, so that the more tapered bullet would not have to jump too far to reach the rifling. Other changes to the rifle included elimination of the troublesome “rod bayonet” of the earlier Springfield rifles. hornady 30-06 .The M1906 maximum range was originally overstated. When the M1906 cartridge was developed, the range tests had been done to only 1,800 yards (1,650 m); distances beyond that were estimated, but the estimate for extreme range was wrong by almost 40 percent. The range discrepancy became evident during World War I. Before the widespread employment of light mortars and artillery, long-range machine gun “barrage” or indirect fires were considered important in U.S. infantry tactics. When the U.S. entered World War I, it did not have many machine guns, so it acquired British and French machine guns. When those weapons were later replaced with U.S. machine guns firing the M1906 round, the effective range of the barrage was 50 percent less. Firing tests performed around 1918 at Borden Brook Reservoir (Massachusetts), Miami, and Daytona Beach showed the actual maximum range of the M1906 cartridge to be 3,300 to 3,400 yards (3,020 to 3,110 m). Germany, which was using the S Patrone (S ball cartridge) loaded with a similar 153-grain (9.9 g) flat-based bullet in its rifles, had apparently confronted and solved the same problem by developing an aerodynamically more refined bullet for long range machine gun use. The s.S. Patrone was introduced in 1914 and used a 197.5-grain (12.80 g) s.S. – schweres Spitzgeschoß (heavy spitzer) boat-tail bullet which had a maximum range of approximately 4,700 m (5,hornady 30-06.